Saturday, September 19, 2015

Doctor Who You Calling Sexist: Rose Tyler



Rose Tyler


What people love about her:

Her compassion, youthful perspective, and bravery
Her romance with the Doctor

What people hate about her:

Her romance with the Doctor
She’s selfish, jealous, whiny, mean, and a “whore”
She didn’t deserve to be the Doctor’s favorite
Her face

What I think about her:

Her romance: I’m going to say, first off, that I quite liked this romance. This is because I felt it was more of a deep respect and emotional need for each other than an immature lust or teenage obsession. It was really almost platonic for the majority of what we saw of the two of them actually together and didn’t read like your average romance thrown in to keep viewer interest. I thought this was an interesting dynamic and it didn’t bother me that they went in that direction because I felt it was earned. That being said, some people obviously disagree with me. I’m not really sure why this is, but I guess it’s okay.

Her personality: I don’t quite get this either. I don’t love or hate her personality, I just really appreciate that she actually has one. I’m really glad that with the reboot they chose to make the show about the companion just as much as about the Doctor. I think the first season does that more than any other, because it’s really framed as if from Rose’s perspective, and the Doctor is still kind of an enigma. I really like this because I think she’s easier to relate to, and it makes the show, for me at least, more emotionally worthwhile and less about the superficial coolness of alien adventures.

So about her personality specifically: selfish, jealous, etc. Some of this I think is down to poor writing, and some of it is down to viewer preference. Take, for example, selfishness. This is one thing that just goes to show that people will see whatever they want to see. People who hate Rose tend to say she’s selfish and people who love Rose tend to say she’s selfless. I guess in a way she is both. She’s absolutely willing to risk her own life to save others, and we saw this in nearly every episode. At the same time, she sometimes wasn’t very concerned with others’ feelings and tended to prioritize her own agenda over that of others. But guess who else does this: The Doctor. I wish the writing had brought out this comparison in a more pronounced way. It actually makes sense that Rose starts doing this more and more as she spends time with him. What doesn’t make sense is that people totally rag on her for it while at the same time giving the Doctor a free pass. I’ve been doing some research on peoples’ perceptions on different genders doing the same things, and how female characters are very often viewed more negatively than male characters when doing the exact same things. These things are usually contradicting or disregarding a traditionally feminine trait, which means that the female character is automatically judged for not being “a good woman.” (Nevermind whether she’s being a good leader or a good hero.) So for example, when Rose stops being considerate of other peoples’ feelings and starts to let her relationships slide, she gets punished for it by the viewers because women are supposed to care a lot about what others think and always pander to other people to maintain likability. We don’t have this limiting paradigm for male characters, and so we don’t hold them to it. This is a vast oversimplification of the phenomenon, but based on my research, I think it stands in this instance and many others when it comes to criticism of companions.

Then there’s how Rose treats Jackie and Mickey. Again, I think these are very interesting relationships. People say Rose is selfish because she chose the Doctor over her family. Disregarding the fact that every companion ever has basically done this, I find this kind of a lame thing to hate Rose over. I’m sure I would have made the same choice in her position. And this is actually a really interesting idea. I think it explores how kids like Rose grow up and go out and explore and get an education and then feel torn between what they know now and how much they’ve grown and what they want to do and their uneducated and not understanding parents. I get that Rose didn’t know how to navigate this perfectly, but isn’t that the point? That we get to explore this and feel sad that we want her to have both worlds and understand that she can’t? I mean, I’m probably reading too much into it, but I just don’t hate Rose for this.

A lot of people get upset over Rose’s relationship with Mickey. And it was an unhealthy and sad relationship. But it’s not the relationship they hate, it’s Rose (note: not Mickey). I don’t mind that the writers wrote this relationship; again, I think it is interesting and I think it worked as a story point to add tension and humor. However, I wouldn’t say they did a fantastic job writing it, which adds to why it is hard for some people to get into. It felt like the same things were getting re-hashed over and over, and some of it was under-developed. But overall, I think it did end up going somewhere and resolving nicely. Here’s what I liked about this relationship: it was pretty realistic. At least, it rang true to me. It was complicated and messy and it wasn’t anywhere near the “true love” standard we hold for relationships. It was really quite dysfunctional in a lot of ways and reminded me of some relationships I had in high school. It’s just a personal pet-peeve of mine when people hate on things like this because I think it is some of the most true to what real people would do. Anyway, it’s interesting to me that people hate on Rose and not Mickey. After having just watched seasons one and two again, I’ve come to the conclusion that Mickey was just as dysfunctional in the relationship as Rose. Rose may have been the catalyst in changing the dynamic by leaving with the Doctor, but that doesn’t make her wrong. In fact, I think that was absolutely the right thing to do. She and Mickey were never going to work. I mean, I thought it was pretty clear from the first episode that Rose wasn’t super happy in the relationship, but that they had been that way for so long that she didn’t know if she wanted to get out of it. (I seriously remember thinking this the very first episode, so it probably isn’t confirmation bias) And soon she found out that she did want something more. She had literally known Mickey since she was a baby. Even once she got smart about the relationship there was no way for her to just erase him. It’s natural to want to stay close to someone when you have a relationship like that. Mickey did the same thing. He whined passive-aggressively and continued trying to shove himself into her life when she had been pretty clear that she wasn’t into it. I don’t really know why we are more sympathetic towards him than her.

Some people have complained that Rose “cheated” on Mickey with Jack and Adam, and this is why they hate her. First of all, I don’t really buy this. I think it was pretty clear that Rose and Mickey were on a “break.” Furthermore, If Rose cheated on Mickey, then Mickey also cheated on Rose because he admitted right after Rose met Jack that he had been seeing someone else for a good chunk of time. And he’d been actually dating her while Rose had really just been flirting. So why don’t we hate him? There’s also the issue that Rose flirted with Mickey and Adam and Jack and the Doctor in the first season and that makes her far too loose to be liked. Again, I think this is silly. In fact, it’s another pet peeve of mine. I think that most people flirt far more than they’re willing to admit. And, I think that’s a part of Rose’s character that is really realistic and nothing to punish her for. She had this incredible opportunity to completely change her life, and part of figuring out who she should be now naturally involved testing out her sexuality and relationships to other people.

That being said, I think there are a few legitimate things to dislike about the character. One is her jealousy. While I think this is something you would expect them to explore in the show, I think that the writers dealt with it really indelicately. I was sad that Sarah Jane had to be subjected to such abuse. Because that was only really half of one episode, Rose had to go from a high level of vitriol to a high level of comradery really fast and it just wasn’t earned or explored or interesting. I think it also was pretty tropy, though I was thankful that the writers did let her get over it quickly. I can’t think of any other instance where Rose’s jealousy bothered me in the show, but this really sticks out in my head.

Another thing I thought was weird was the moment where Mickey asks to come aboard the TARDIS and Rose gets this really huffy, juvenile look on her face. While I think that it maybe does make sense that she wouldn’t be super pleased, I thought this was dealt with really poorly too. It was never addressed, and though I think Rose got used to the idea quickly once she got over her initial reaction, this was never explicit and left us with that distinct negative feeling towards Rose. Because it really was kind of a bratty reaction, which I think would have been fine (and again, realistic) if only the writers would have dealt with that tension more explicitly.

And the last thing I dislike about Rose was the whining over the Doctor’s regeneration in the first Christmas special. It just dragged on and was turned into a bit of a tantrum, which resulted in Rose not doing anything for an entire episode. Again, I think the writers were trying to use her to help us transition from one Doctor to another. I think they underestimated our ability to transition on our own. After all, who could not be pleased by David Tennant? It’s also just not a positive attribute ever, whether it’s realistic or not. I’m sad that they wrote her whiny because to me that episode was the beginning of a lot of people writing her off as a useless and stupid teenage girl (in a very pejorative sense, which is just an unfortunate reality).

What Rose does and doesn’t deserve: Apparently some people are just mad that of all of time and space, the Doctor chose Rose Tyler. I think this argument has some classist undertones (among other things) to be honest. I’ve heard people say that the Doctor should end up with someone more impressive and accomplished—an astrophysicist or something—and that a “shop girl” just isn’t good enough for the Doctor. I think these people are totally missing the point of what the writers were trying to say about the Doctor with this relationship (whether that’s down to their poor perception and unwillingness to go with where the writers were taking them or the writers’ poor communication and failure to convince people). The point was that he fell in love with someone who was ordinary but innocent. At least that’s what I got. I also think it was a weird way to set up the show to have the Doctor have this great love in the first two seasons and then have to measure every other companion up to her instead of building up to a love interest. I think the writers misjudged the audience here—we’re not really used to this type of set-up and I think some people resented it (which turned into Rose-hate). I think people generally got annoyed with the romance after-the-fact, when we had to see every other companion compared to her by the Doctor.

There’s also some tension, though, between whether Rose is his “true love” or not. I don’t think she really even is, because I personally don’t think there is such thing as true love. She was just what he needed and wanted at that time and that’s okay. Some people point out that in the 50th anniversary, the Moment took her form and that must mean that she is the Doctor’s favorite. However, I actually disagree with this too (shocker!) The Moment took the form of Bad Wolf, not Rose Tyler. This is because Bad Wolf literally knew everything about time and space, and there was no one the Doctor was more likely to trust than someone like that. Of course, it’s also important that he cared for Rose Tyler, but that doesn’t mean she was his one and only love. So there’s still hope for whomever you want the Doctor to fall in love with, and there’s no need to be angry.

And finally, the complaint about Billie Piper’s face. This is probably actually the one I’ve heard most often, (besides maybe the b-word) which is pretty disturbing to me. This is obviously viewer preference and has nothing to do with the writing. First of all, it shouldn’t matter what her face looks like, because she shouldn’t be there to be physically attractive to viewers. If the point of her character was to be attractive, I would get it, but it’s not. It’s to be a realistic person. I mean, no one cares that Mickey isn’t attractive. The specific thing about Billie’s face that people don’t like is her teeth and that she does this weird thing that I can’t explain where she juts her bottom jaw out. I guess I can’t stop people from being annoyed at her appearance, so whatever. However, I will say one thing. Have you noticed that Captain Jack also does this really weird thing with his mouth? Well lots of people have, only none of them say that they hate him over it. Coincidentally, very few of them seem to think he is too flirty, either.

All the other things I can think of to hate about Rose I put down to poor character development. I thought that the first season was very good as far as writing for Rose was concerned. She was capable and curious and she was interesting because she brought something to the table. There were some really great moments with Jackie and with Harriet Jones. And Rose stands up to the Doctor, changes him into a better person, and saves the day. I think that this is the Rose we love. But the second season is really quite different. They immediately took away Rose’s victory. She couldn’t even remember that she had done something so amazing and saved the Doctor, and had known literally everything and been all-powerful for a few moments. She goes about the entire next episode complaining, saying that she’s useless without the Doctor, and crying over his regeneration. It just came out of the blue and didn’t make sense because she had been really capable in the earlier season; there was no transition to this feeling of inadequacy, and no transition out of it (when she shows up in later seasons she is more capable, but we don’t get to see the transition). It’s the next episode where she’s jealous of Sarah Jane. And then, she’s selfishly rude to Mickey and doesn’t want him to come along in the Tardis. Both of these come out of nowhere, which is part of why they were so shocking to us. And she never gets to save the day again. Not this season, anyway. This is the Rose that we hate. To me, her character development felt relatively disjointed, unexplained, and all over the place. I doubt this was purposeful, which could show a lack of attention to her character development in the second season. I think it’s irresponsible to treat your main female character this way when your development for your male character is much more stable and positive. It’s also a real shame.

The first season had 5 different writers with RTD writing 8 of the 13 episodes. The second season had 7 different writers with RTD writing 6 of 14 episodes. I thought maybe this might have had an effect, with the different writers pulling Rose in different directions. I’m not sure if it did. And then again, maybe I’m the only one confused by Rose’s changes in the second season. I just noticed that she was much less endearing and much more annoying in the second season.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. I’m still not sure what to think about why so many people hate Rose. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment