Friday, October 2, 2015

Doctor Who You Calling Sexist: Martha Jones



Martha Jones

 


This is a continuation of my series exploring sexism in Doctor Who. I want to know why some people hate on Martha Jones and whether it has anything to do with gender or sexism. 

Why people love her:

She’s capable, and a fantastic problem-solver
She’s intelligent, hard-working, and independent
She cares for her family

Why people hate her:

Her unrequited love
She’s jealous, whiny, useless, and has no personality (apparently)
Her high-pitched screamy reactions
Her clothes and hair

What I think about her:

Her unrequited love: When you talk about Martha, you have to talk about the unrequited love thing. I kind of hate that this has become the most important thing about Martha, but you really can’t have a discussion of this sort without bringing it up. Either you hate her for it, or you love her in spite of it. I suppose there are a few who actually like that element, but those are rare. And even those people feel the need to speak up in defense of it, since most everyone else hates it. It’s unfortunate that it overshadows everything else about Martha. It’s especially unfortunate because I think that Martha was actually a very good companion. I will readily admit that after watching Martha’s season the first time over, I wasn’t a fan. I don’t think I ever hated her, but I did think it was a waste of good Tennant-time. All I remembered was the unrequited love. After having just re-watched season three, however, I realized that I love Martha and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

I now realize that my reaction towards Martha was really tied in with the Doctor’s reaction. There’s some really weird audience logic here that I don’t think the writers planned for. When we were introduced to the dynamic between the two characters, we went through a logical evaluation of the change that went something like this: “The Doctor doesn’t care for Martha. The Doctor is right. Therefore I don’t care for Martha.” I think the writers were hoping for something more like this: “The Doctor doesn’t care for Martha. I do care for Martha. Therefore the Doctor is wrong.” At least I like to think that’s what they wanted because that is much more interesting to explore than adding a boring companion and keeping the Doctor exactly the same, which I feel is the alternative.

What makes this season so great is that the Doctor didn’t stay the same. He went through lots of little changes, mostly internal and not all for the better. The weird consequence of this was that he kind of ignored Martha sometimes. He became very reserved and self-absorbed; sometimes when he was talking, it was like Martha wasn’t even there. Which was boring to me at the time because his reactions to both Rose and Donna were much more animated and fun. Now that I know the Doctor a little better and have seen his complex character arc, I find this part of the show one of the most interesting. It’s a time of depression for the Doctor, where he is listless and unresponsive and really has to force himself into carrying on and interacting with the world. This is an important part of his development and is one of the long roads that leads him to where he is at the end of the Tennant era, circa Waters of Mars

So, it’s not Martha’s fault. It’s not that Martha is a bad person, or even a poorly written character. It’s just that her character’s story and relationship to the audience was sacrificed for the Doctor’s. It’s really unfair to Martha that she was sidelined in this way. Which to me makes it that much more beautiful that she is able to break away at the end of her season and leave that hurtful relationship. She wasn’t appreciated by the Doctor and she wasn’t appreciated by us. 

Similarly, her unrequited love was the biggest part of her character because it was the most important thing for the Doctor to go through. I think it was a big factor in adding to his ego and eventually in his realizing that he isn’t human and that there are consequences to his actions that he can’t just ignore the way he ignored Martha. I found a few great comments about Martha that I’d like to include here:

“. . . I felt that parts of Martha’s character were undermined in order to further the love triangle. For example, remember that moment when the Doctor tells Jack that Rose is still alive in another universe, and Martha gets all jealous about it? As far as the audience knows, this is the first time Martha finds out what actually happened to Rose. There’s no moment of comprehension, no moment of sympathy for the Doctor or for Jack, who has just found out that his friend isn’t dead after all. There isn’t even a moment of solidarity or loss, which would be natural considering Martha’s cousin Adeola died in the same battle. Instead, there’s just a moment of petty jealousy to reinforce the idea that Martha and Rose are competing for the Doctor’s affection. Yet it felt very out of character for Martha.”

I think that the writers also gave Martha this story-line because they thought this was an important thing to address for the audience. Since our only template at this point for human relationships with the Doctor was a romantic one, the writers needed to broaden the template, and they chose to do it slowly. The unrequited love arc was like a transition to a different type of relationship and a greater understanding of the Doctor. In this way, Martha became a sort of place-holder between Rose and Donna. Unfortunately, I think that many audience members see her only as a placeholder and don’t read into the meaty insight Martha’s story gives us. In case that’s you (as it was me), here are some thoughts from someone who did read into it:

“. . . people very fundamentally misunderstand why Martha starts the season "in love" with the Doctor. People think this has to do with an attempt to retread Rose's storyline, and stop there. That's not at all what Martha's storyline is. Rose's is a terrible tragedy. An average girl falls in love with someone who is very much not human, who falls in love with her, and she gives up her entire existence to be with him and then, due to the simple fact that he is the Doctor, she loses everything. Don't kid yourself about Rose getting what she wants with the metacrisis Doctor. He is mortal, he looks like 10, and he has his memories, but much of what Rose falls in love with is the fact that she can travel all of space and time with someone who isn't human. Metacrisis 10 is none of those things. Her story is one of fundamentally misunderstanding what the Doctor is, giving everything she has to give to be with him, and not getting any of it. Her father still dies. She loses her boyfriend. She barely gets her mom, and she's sealed in an alternate universe. Hers is a cautionary tale
Martha's story, on the other hand, is one of showing how experience with the Doctor can enrich your life. Martha is the only modern companion who has no "magical moment." She is not Bad Wolf, she is not Doctor Donna, she's not the impossible girl, she doesn't re-originate the universe with a thought. She is smart, capable, and successful before the Doctor ever gets to her, and, also unlike every other modern companion, she chooses to leave him, and in so choosing, gets everything she wants. She achieves success, she finds love, and she gets to help the Doctor (or at least further his mission of protecting the earth from outside threats) for the rest of her life.
Unfortunately, a lot of people get stuck on the "She loves Ten and she isn't Rose" and ignore the very powerful message of the rest of Martha's story. The Doctor is, and has always been, a madman with a box. He is not human. He loves humanity, but he does not understand what it means to be human. Martha sees this, and she decides to take what she has learned from him to be a better person. Every other modern companion doesn't understand this and tries to choose to travel the universe with him forever. And every other companion, so far, loses everything they have. They might find other happiness and other lives, but they never get what they really want, which, very fundamentally, is to be with the Doctor forever.
Martha is a great companion and, you're right, she gets a lot of hate because her story lacks the romanticism and tragedy of other stories. More's the pity.”
See more at https://www.reddit.com/r/doctorwho/comments/1t21d2/just_finished_season_3_why_do_people_hate_martha/

So, moving on to her personality (or lack thereof): I happen to think that Martha does have personality. But even if I didn’t, I would understand why. It makes sense that she would be the least developed because she only got one season, compared to other companions who got multiple seasons. Looking at it that way, I think it’s actually kind of surprising that Martha has as much personality as she does. Here are some more thoughts that aren’t mine:

“Another interesting thing about 42 is the fact that it is the only televised story where Martha is a full time solo companion. Before you ask what sort of drugs I have been taking, look at it logically. Up until this point she was only a guest on the TARDIS. In the immediate next episode the Doctor has made himself human so the Doctor-companion dynamic is compromised due to the absence of the Doctor. Then in the following episode both her and the Doctor are taken out of the bulk of the narrative in the hugely successful Blink. The series then concludes with a three-part story and the re-addition of Jack to the team. My point is that Martha’s time in the TARDIS was short lived anyway given she only had one series, but it was shorter than most would think. In retrospect she was probably the companion who spent the least time with the Doctor, particularly as the narrative always seemed to separate the two, (as per Gridlock, Evolution of the Daleks, 42, and Human Nature/The Family of Blood.) Perhaps it would not be too much of a stretch to suggest that the reason for this was that Martha was his intellectual and emotional equal and didn’t need as much attention as his previous companion.”

While this is an interesting observation, I would like to point out that according to the infographic I talked about in this post, Martha does have a higher average speaking time per episode than Rose. However it is true that a lot of her time is spent without the Doctor. On the one hand, I like this because it gives her the opportunity to show how capable, independent, and intelligent she is. If I had to give Martha one label, it would be problem-solver. I noticed how often she comes up with solutions on her own in this season, and it’s almost every episode. I don’t agree with people who say Martha was useless, because she just wasn’t. I think she saved the Doctor more times than Rose did, and she also supported him financially and was able to do lots of things without being told exactly what to do. The episode most cited by naysayers is Human Nature, where the Doctor has lost his memories and Martha complains that she doesn’t know what to do. First of all, this is a two-part episode, and Martha takes charge and succeeds in bringing the Doctor back in the second part. So I think her uncertainty was more for dramatic effect than anything. Second of all, I think that every companion has a moment (actually multiple) like this. For Rose it’s the Christmas episode, and for Donna it happens in The Poison Sky, where she’s trapped onboard a Sontaran ship without him. So it’s not a flaw in Martha’s character, but rather something that the writers just like to write about a lot.

Even though I think of Martha as a capable and skilled person, she does have some problematic lines that undermine her autonomy and ability. For instance, she says, “you got me this job” talking about her job with UNIT. I don’t know why the writers chose to include lines like this. I think that this is at odds with her actions, which show her to be very capable. While it may be true that UNIT valued her (at least at first) principally for her time with the Doctor, it is not true that the Doctor got her the job. She herself developed and presented the skills and attributes that got her the job, of which her relationship with the Doctor was one (and really, she was the one who put in effort to develop the relationship with him and not the other way around). I personally think that the writers should have paid more attention to the consequences of those types of lines and either not put them in, or explored them more. It would be fine if Martha had some sort of complex about being skilled and qualified, but she didn’t. So don’t make us have one either. Maybe this had an impact on viewers’ perceptions of her effectiveness and added to the Martha-hate.

I’ve talked a bit about her jealousy above, so I’ll just talk about it briefly here. I think the love-triangle thing was dealt with really sloppily by the writers. Either they weren’t concerned with the fact that it would make her look bad in front of the audience, or they thought that she would be redeemed in the audience’s eyes at the end of her season with her dramatic change. Either way, I think it could have been done better. As for her “whining,” I reject this objection. I think her (small amount of) whining was justified. We have all gone through unrequited love and I bet you none of us was as graceful as she was. Furthermore, the Doctor really did not treat her very well. He didn’t want her and he wasn’t afraid to show it. It’s not even just that he wasn’t interested in her romantically, he actually sometimes acted like he didn’t want her in any capacity—he wanted to be alone. And to top it off, then he turned around and complained about her to Donna—talk about whining!

Her voice: I haven’t heard this criticism much, but I mention it here because it’s something I’m very sensitive to. I’ve been made fun of for my voice a lot. Specifically that it’s high-pitched and gets louder and more high-pitched the more emotional I am. I have very little control over this, and believe me I try not to do it. Maybe it really is annoying. Like objectively annoying and not culturally annoying. I don’t know. But anyway, enough about me, because Martha does it too. Sometimes when something crazy happens her reaction is loud and high-pitched. Sometimes I think it makes it funny, but sometimes apparently it’s the most annoying thing in the world. This part of Martha’s personality probably isn’t written in the script. It’s probably not chosen by the director either; my intuition is that it’s an actor thing. And I don’t think it’s wrong for Freema to have chosen to portray her that way. Maybe it wasn’t even a conscious choice and we are actually seeing the way that Freema reacts to things in real life, which is fine because a lot of female people do react that way. Actually, I’m pretty convinced that male people also do this with their voices. I think it’s just a natural thing that voices do. The issue I have with this is that for some reason, it’s not okay when Martha does it. And this goes for a lot of people, almost exclusively women, including myself. I’m just tired of people saying it’s not okay that our voices do what they naturally do because they reside in a higher register. This is not a good reason to hate a person.

Her hair and clothes: This one I saw a little more often. Mostly I think it’s actually more of a consequence of Martha-hate than it is a reason to hate her even though that’s how people use it. Again, I personally don’t think it’s a good reason to hate someone and I don’t really know how to discuss this. Though there is one thing I want to address: I saw some people saying that they hated Martha because she dressed like a slut. I hope these people are just internet trolls. First of all, she didn’t. She was fully clothed at all times, which is more than you can say about the Doctor. Second of all, she should be free to express her sexuality and her sense of fashion however she wants. There are better ways to critique a character than trying to slut-shame her to diminish her credibility and value.

Conclusion

I really like Martha, and it makes me sad to think she is under-appreciated. I wish that the writers had given her arc and development more attention instead of prioritizing the Doctor over her. I think the writing could have been better, and in this particular way it was decidedly not feminist. I do concede that the Doctor is the main character and as such may be "more important." One, there's an easy way to make this feminist: let the Doctor be a woman. And two, we see plenty of shows where secondary characters are given fair character development, so why not in this one? I just think that Martha gets a bad rap, from both the writers and especially the audience. I think it's particularly interesting that she gets much more criticism than the Doctor did in that season.
Anyway, I don’t claim to know everything (or really anything) about why people love/hate Martha. This is just my thoughts after re-watching her season a second time. And I know this has been kind of a defense of Martha, because I do like her a lot. So feel free to tell me in the comments what you think!

And in case you’re interested, here is a link to my discussions of the other companions.

No comments:

Post a Comment